Friday, June 27, 2014

Healthy Rice and Berry Rhubarb Sauce... Childhood Memories - Helthified. THM (E)

I don't know about you but I struggle with finding a meal that the whole family enjoys.  This recipe received a 7/8 approval (which is a winner in my book).  For breakfast I heat up the griddle and allow 1 hour of heating time so everyone can make (help me make) their own special order.
This was this morning:
- 2 eggs cooked MW(add salt and pepper), 2 pieces of toast with(visible) butter, Jam and bacon if its available. (this is a standing morning order for my hubby that seems never to grow old, even after  9.5 years!)
- Cheesy Egg sandwich
- cheesy egg sandwich with bacon and extra cheese
- Cheesy Eggs with buttered toast on the side
- Egg Sandwich with only no cheese and bacon
- 3 cheesy eggs  (no toast or bacon)
- 3 pieces of toast of toast with lots of jam

I like how that last little person still submits that order day after day and it has yet be filled - we have a 1 egg minimum and  1pc toast maximum in this household for the kiddos.

Ok. my point is that we have semi-picky eaters and I try hard to feed the kids healthy food and when I find a recipe that works, it feels like a major victory. 

As a child, I have very fond memories of my mother making a delicious dish which we called 'Rice and Sauce', some of the ingredients included: White rice, sweetened condensed milk, C&H Sugar, Jello, cornstarch & strawberries.  I still remember peeking in the pot with anticipation waiting the long  20 minutes for the rice to cook. My mother started making the dish with brown rice instead of white in effort to make it a but more healthy - my (THM) brain started ticking and I came up with this THM-ified version of this childhood favorite. 


Rice and Berry Sauce THM (E)
Ingredients:

Brown Rice
Salt
Sweetener
Unsweetened Almond Milk
Swanson's Protein Powder (optional)
Berries
Rhubarb
Glucomannan(optional)

  • Combine 1 cup rice, 3 cups almond milk, 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • Cover and cook on HIGH 5 minutes or until boiling.
  • Reduce setting to MEDIUM and cook 30 minutes. Sweeten to taste.
  • I like to add a scoop of protein powder to mine just before serving to add some protein
  •  Boil 1c water 1c Rhubarb boil for 5-10 minutes until rhubarb is done and 2 c berries and let simmer for a few more minutes. Sweeten to taste.
  • I like to add a teaspoon of glucomannan to thicken up the sauce a bit.  This can be added after the sauce has been removed from heat. 

  •  
    Scoop the berry sauce on to of a the sweetened rice and top with a few fresh berries. ENJOY!
     
    *note* I sometimes use unsweetened cinnamon applesauce instead of the sauce for a quick  THM E lunch. 
     

    No comments:

    Post a Comment